Article by Evan Crawford, Director of Informatics
What's the definition of marketing automation?
Marketing automation is a procedure of auto-managing marketing processes such as campaign execution and analyzing the sales performance.
Marketing automation makes it easy for businesses to communicate with customers on different channels, including email, social media, and chat. A set of instructions called workflows control the automated messages. There are many things behind the scene: customized templates, campaigns, and other analytics reports.
Automation is used to maximize sales and performance by automating marketing and sales tasks. In this way, the revenue is increased, and the chance of human error gets significantly minimized. Marketing automation makes an easy workflow for repetitive tasks so that employees can focus on more important assignments.
Marketing automation is crucial for a company business plan to meet ROI goals. As the business grows, its size and complexity are difficult to handle, and the time and cost-saving become untrackable. Marketing automation systems do what's exactly needed to scale your business.
How does marketing automation benefit you?
Marketing automation helps your business by streamlining regular tasks with the help of some specifically designed tools to cater to the sales and marketing needs. From the lead generation process to data analytics, automation systems take care of every growing business's complexity.
With an automated digital marketing strategy, one doesn't have to send emails or messages, publish social media posts, or create campaigns manually. Marketing automation tools research your target audience, make the content for it, and trigger actions by monitoring the customer's behavior and campaign schedule.
Since all of the prior marketing campaign work is done by the automation systems, you may always check back the results and tweak the campaign if it feels less optimized. It's a much less time-consuming approach to get you more focused on doing the actual business rather than wasting on just doing daily business tasks.
How does marketing automation work for the businesses?
Collecting your customer's data through emails, messages, website visits, and social media interactions is an easy way of making a great customer database.
Once you get that information, the marketing automation tool works after it. It segments the campaigns for specific target audiences to ensure the marketing strategy is built to nurture every single lead; it's a fast way of scaling an ever-growing business. It also sends particular messages based on the customer's behavior and profile on relevant platforms such as emails, social media, instant chats, and messages.
No matter how small or big customers are in number, automation tools will help the business serve them personally by customizing the messages and making prompt responses to their queries.
How does marketing automation affect customer’s journey?
Customer journeys are the experiences of individual customers with your company. Seamlessly completing their journeys beyond the conversion process is what every brand needs to do. You can make the journey personalized and pleasant at the same time by keeping every interaction smooth and automated.
By creating relevant content and communicating seamlessly on multiple marketing channels, your brand is accessible to customers everywhere. When an automation tool sends personalized emails by tweaking the recipient's name in the subject and by-line, you're already on the edge of winning. Reaching every single individual with a personalized message or content is found to be effective and efficient.
If your marketing automation systems don't generalize ad campaigns for every individual customer, there will be more conversions; meaning more sales and business for you. The customer lifecycle is hard to track and can be too complicated from awareness to advocacy, and customers want themselves to be served perfectly. In all of this situation, marketing tools help you deliver the services and products timely, keep your progress monitored, and provide prompt reminders so that the customers remain happy advocates of your business.
What are the best practices of marketing automation?
Here are some key points to remind yourself of when designing a marketing automation plan.
- Be clear about your goals - Realistic numbers are necessary to make your goal succeed but don't underestimate your business potential to the marketing automation vendors.
- Collaborate efficiently with your company's business departments to smoothly finish processes by communicating the inputs and outputs.
- Visualize the processes with the help of detailed diagrams of your automation processes to show a complete image of your brand workflow to the whole organization.
- Segment your customer data based on their preferences and their relevance to your business.
- Make a content strategy for your marketing campaigns by designing different content types for each part of the customer lifecycle.
- Prepare for the launch - Even most successful companies find it difficult to settle down in the new marketing automation environment. Test the system and optimize it later for maximum success.
- Analyze to see what's good for your business and what's not. Keep an eye on the analytics and try to catch the signals that will impact your business's future.
Is marketing automation easy to implement?
Marketing automation is implemented to ease your day to day business operations. The following are a few examples of how marketing automation is easy to do.
- Schedule email campaigns to send and trigger automatically to the subscribers' list.
- Find the right email content by A/B testing of different email campaigns.
- Track your goals in the form of useful metrics like Click-through rates, impressions, CPC, engagements, visitors/month, and more.
- Explore more customer opportunities through web and eCommerce analytics rather than just focusing on CRM
Share similar customer experiences on all marketing channels
Brand identity is crucial for big companies as they want to communicate with clients in the same manner on every platform. Marketing automation sends messages automatically through your system's central hub, bringing genuine brand identity to your messages.
By bringing customer experiences close to your brand on every communication channel, marketing automation will keep things intact while you're working your way to becoming a giant in your industry.